5 Things I'd Tell My Teenage Self

Leave a Comment
Things have been a little quiet on the blog front this last week, I've been a little poorly. As I lay here in my pyjamas and trying to enjoy my Easter eggs even though I can't taste a thing I thought I'd write this post. For the past few weeks at work I have spoken to a lot of teenagers. I work for quite a popular brand who are having a huge revival at the moment thanks to everything 90's being back in style. Where I have noticed they look and act a lot older than their years. Some even dress a lot better than I did at their age, the primary struggles are still the same. I thought I'd list a few things I wish I could go back and tell my teenage self and remind others.

Following the crowd?
  1. If you don't want to, don't do it. I'm not talking about revision or coursework here, that stuff you have to do. I'm talking about, for example, just because everyone else is going somewhere or doing something. If you don't want to, don't. No-one can make you. Don't just go with the flow just because everyone is. 
  2. It's OK to be a little different. We're all different. So you like different genres of music to your friends, don't hide it, share it with them. This was me in school I was a huge fan of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers when most people in my friend group couldn't see past Usher (don't get me wrong I love a bit of Usher, Confessions anyone?).     
  3. It's OK to spend time alone. It's perfectly normal not to want to spend time with people you can barely tolerate just because everyone else is. If you want to stay in, then do so. Or spend more time with people you truly find interesting. Not just because their the loudest.
  4. Voice your opinions. Gosh isn't is so annoying when everyone is agreeing and nodding along to the queen bee, even though she has no idea what she's going on about? Voice your opinions. Let people know you have one. Don't be afraid. I wish I had done this more, on a whole I didn't give a crap about what people thought about me. However, there were times where I was more reserved and now wish I hadn't been.
  5. It'll be over soon, is that how you want to be remembered? School doesn't last forever, most people will remember you by how you treated others. Be nice to everyone. Before you make a big decision just think to yourself, is this me? Take your time.
I could go on and on, but maybe I'll save some for another post. Expect a fashion and beauty version up soon. I think we forget as we get older how hard it was being a teenager. I'm 23 now and when I was a teen there was no Twitter or Instagram, MSN Messenger was the best social media we had, and even that was on AOL dial up. 

What are some of the things you would have told your teenage self.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.