International Women's Day

Leave a Comment

"We should all be feminists" — Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie


Right now I just feel like taking to the keyboard and write all the things I'm feeling. So that's what I'm going to do. I'm sure you are all aware that tomorrow is International Women's day, a time to celebrate, reflect and educate. We are young women of the millennial generation yet still suffer inequalities. There is the constant question of are we doing enough to change the societal norms which lead to the discrimination of women? 


I saw a tweet this morning by Becky from Milk Bubble Tea (@milkbubbletea) she addressed a particularly nasty comment left by a reader. From her tweet its obvious it made her feel pretty rubbish, the comment in question was regarding her physique. This made me feel sad, now I'm sure for every nasty comment bloggers such as Becky receive there are many more nice ones. However I still find it bizarre and strange that someone, in this case another woman, would go out of their way to say something, or type something so horrible. We need to learn to respect and be nice to one another, it sounds so simple yet strange to say in 2014. It sounds so cliché but if more people gave compliments to one another instead of tearing each other apart just imagine what we could achieve. Women supporting other women. We have enough to deal with on a day to day basis such as inequalities in pay and the workplace or even finding work for that matter, tearing each other apart is not helping but setting us back years. For years we have addressed the issue of men treating us inadequately and we need to start addressing our fellow young women and teaching them to treat each other with respect. Less emphasis should be made of how we look and more of what we can or have achieved. 

I'm 23, and can be painfully shy in many situations. I'm definitely a wallflower and doubt you would even notice me in a room full of people. But that doesn't mean I'm any less of a strong person than the girl who is louder and has more of a presence. My point is, and the point of my blog is to feel good about yourself. Your quiet confidence will shine through. I meet and see so many young girls who are trying to be like everybody else, and anybody else rather than themselves. This is probably why we feel like we should make fun of the one who is slightly different. Or the one who has everything you think you want, so you type or say something to make them feel bad. I just want you to know that it's OK if you don't look like everyone else. Or if you don't like the same music or style as everyone else. “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”- Oscar Wilde. If everyone was the same just imagine how boring life would be.

My main aim with this post is just to let fellow young women know that we should be supporting each other. If we can't support or respect each other how can we expect men to do the same? If we keep pointing out physical differences in each other how can we expect to be seen as anything else but physical objects? In order to grow we need to change, I urge you to give out more compliments. Compliments you mean. If you really like something someone has done, wore, shared, made etc. tell them. It will make them feel good and you feel good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.